The WordPress bootstrap process is only scarcely documented, with only a very select group of developers that truly know the ins and outs and historical reasons behind the individual bootstrapping steps.
This session presents a detailed overview of the exact execution flow that launches your WordPress site on each page request, giving you detailed insights into:
- the order in which files are loaded
- how & why the different global constants are set up
- what functionality is “pluggable” and can be replaced by custom implementations
- how the database is connected
- how caching is set up
- how localization is set up and loaded
- how a multisite (network) is identified and loaded
- how the Plugin API is initialized
The session will end with a presentation of a feature project that aims to re-design and improve the existing bootstrap process.